Sunday, 8 September 2013

Lost hope

Yesterday we buried another member of our community who had committed suicide. One person taking their own life is one too many but in the last year we have had a number of people commit suicide.  Suicide is a difficult topic to talk about and in a small community it cannot be discussed in the abstract. Though we may not be directly affected we will know someone who is and so we must be especially sensitive.  However we cannot avoid discussing this.

There is no doubt that we are experiencing a time of great change on the island and for many there are more opportunities for work or to establish a business.  For some however the changes are irrelevant or even frightening. I do not wish to try to explain why so many people have taken their own life and I do not wish to say that it is because of all that is happening on St Helena.  What I wish to say is that we must not be blinded by the prospect of economic development and think that everyone is benefiting.  There is so much more than economic development and we must never forget this.

There are serious issues that need addressing head on as we have avoided a public conversation about them. Alcohol abuse, domestic violence, child sexual abuse and social isolation to mention just the most obvious concerns.

A conference/workshop is being held this month to do just this.  It is a first step and it must be the first of many steps.  I know that together we can come up with ideas and practical responses to this crisis.

As Father Fred said at the funeral address; "I appeal to those who may have lost hope to talk to someone".

I just pray that if there is anyone on island feeling this way that they do talk to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment