Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Dr Corinda Essex


I was fortunate today to attend the retirement function for Dr Corinda Essex who has spent 42 years working for St Helena Government in a variety of roles.  As well as working full time she also completed a Masters Degree and then a PhD.

It was wonderful to hear the speech from Gilly Francis detailing all of Corinda's achievements, including her time as a councillor, and humbling when you consider her devotion to St Helena.

Two things stand out from today.  These come from Corinda's response to Gilly's speech.  One is that Corinda always made sure that  she was  prepared for whatever challenges she faced which she said was one of the reasons she completed a PhD.  Attention to detail and being prepared is a lesson we all need to take note of.

The second thing and the reason I wanted to post this piece is, and I quote from my memory

'As long as I have the health I will continue to serve St Helena and her people'.

I may not have remembered this word for word but I remember thinking that you don't generally hear people these days saying publicly that they are willing to serve.  It was a very powerful statement.

I will do well as a councillor to remember those whose work we continue. It is easy to be arrogant and think that what we are doing now is new and different and so much better, when in fact we should remember that what we want to achieve now is only possible because of the foundations built by those who came before us.

Corinda is one of those who built strong foundations.  She continues to serve St Helena and I look forward to working with her in the future in her capacity as the president of the Chamber of Commerce.


No comments:

Post a Comment