Sunday, 1 September 2013
HMS Richmond
Easy to be cynical
Now I guess I am what passes for a local dignitary I was invited on board the HMS Richmond for a function. I was happy to go the other night but in the past I would view these events through a rather jaundiced eye. It was just a PR exercise for the Navy and a bit of a jolly for the locals is how I used to see them.
Not that this isn't true to an extent but what I found when on board was a very articulate, interesting and interested group of personnel, all officers I imagine, whose company I really enjoyed.
I was able to learn something of life in the navy and they seemed genuinely interested in learning about life on St Helena. As is often the case it is the informal, unplanned situations that are the most memorable. While waiting for the boat to get back to shore my host invited me for a quick tour of the living quarters. I spent about twenty minutes in one of the wardrooms talking to a group of officers who were off duty and not part of the function. Again we had a really interesting conversation and I know that they appreciated the warm welcome they received on St Helena. They agreed that on the island they were 'among friends'.
So again I need to change my perceptions and as usual it comes through having the opportunity to meet people that I would not normally meet. And you know what, in an uncertain world, on an isolated island, I am reassured that there is a UK naval presence in the South Atlantic.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment