In the beginning
Actually let us not start that far back. I can trace the idea of running for St Helena Legislative Council (LegCo) from August 2012. I had just transferred from the health service to environmental management and I had been invited to join the youth parliament in one of their debates. The topic was that prescriptions for hearing aids and glasses should be free for people of school age. I was in favour of the motion and we won the debate. As you will find out if you continue to read this blog I am keen on quotes so I used some words from Mandela on the importance of education and generally went for a dramatic and impassioned effect.
Several people were kind enough after to say they enjoyed my speech and Mr Radio, Tony Leo, asked if I had considered running for council. I had not until he said that and then I could not get it out of my head. I started reading some political biographies and looking at political websites. Anyway it became a minor obsession which was why I jumped at the chance of saying that I would stand for election when the previous council was dissolved.
No comments:
Post a Comment