Last Thursday I was fortunate to be invited to the PAS awards ceremony. We all need days like these, positive days, days when we celebrate and acknowledge the achievement of others. It was fantastic and despite the educational resource limitations I was surprised at the range of subjects that the students were studying
I get the feeling that education, like most areas, is becoming more decentralised and with this more opportunities arise. Students were receiving awards in GCSE, A and AS levels but there were also vocational qualifications and other diplomas and certificates from different education providers through distance learning.
We had a glimpse of St Helena's future seeing the students receiving their awards and I for one am convinced that the future of our island will be in good hands. What we, as council, must do is to make politics more relevant, more authentic, more questioning so that some of those talented young people will become more engaged.
At the next election we need to be challenged by the twenty somethings, not only holding us to account but also we need some of them standing for election
Like I said we all need days like Thursday, positive life affirming days.
No comments:
Post a Comment