Monday, 5 August 2013

The Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) visit to St Helena


The delegation from left to right:

Rt. Hon. The Lord Shutt of Greetland (standing)

Hon Tim Crookall MHK:  Member House of Keys - Isle of Man

John Grimes:  Senior Parliamentary Clerk - National Assembly of Wales

Deputy Barry Paint: Member of the States of Guernsey

Joyce Watson:  Member Welsh Assembly - Mid and West Wales

What a week it has been.  The delegation from the CPA came to St Helena as part of the induction programme for the new Legislative Council.  We knew before the election that they were coming and once elected we were all looking forward to benefiting from their experience.

I guess I was expecting the team to come armed with fancy power point presentations, 'break out sessions', workshops and ice breakers.  All of the stuff that happens in modern training sessions.

We did not get any of that, and I for one am so grateful.

What we did get was five exceptional people who came and just accompanied us on our first faltering steps as a new team of councillors

We sat around the table and talked.  At times we were joined by officers from SHG.  It was fantastic.

You know in management speak 'team building' often means going off somewhere, being given artificial tasks to complete and 'debriefing sessions'.  I must repeat that what we did was sit around a table for six days and talk.  Members of the delegation gave us the benefit of our experiences, there was a loose agenda of topics but most importantly they created a space for us all to interact and speak openly.  There was a profound sense of coming together and I know that we as a team of councillors will be a much stronger team for the experience.  If we did not appreciate it before we were left in no doubt that we must work together for the common good of the island.

I feel, and I am sure that the other elected members would agree, extremely privileged to have had the opportunity to meet with these wonderful people.  






No comments:

Post a Comment